fot

Re: Spit exhaust questions

To: <beeline@iline.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit exhaust questions
From: Jack Wheeler <jwheeler@robus.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 09:37:11 -0500
Up until 1985, I also used a 2 1/2 inch pipe back from the header on my
SCCA EP TR-4 (per the Kastner 'bible').  When I put the engine on a dyno in
1985 we found an improvement by goung to a 3 inch pipe (this was the
largest diameter I could fit through the 'X' section of the TR-4A frame).
We also kept lengthening the pipe and kept getting better results with a
longer pipe.  We finally put on a pipe that was basically the length of the
car, and found better horsepower at this length than any of the shorter
lengths we tried.

SO, I ended up using the same headers (Stahl), but installed a larger
collecter to tie into the 3" exhaust pipe, and I ran the 3" pipe as close
to the end of the car as I could get it (put a little turn-out on the end
for noise control).

Hope this helps, and good luck.