fot

Re: 6 Cylinder cam...

To: bob bownes <rbownes@neworks.net>
Subject: Re: 6 Cylinder cam...
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 17:39:35 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, bob bownes wrote:

> Ok, so maybe I'm hallucinating again, but the motor has got to come out of
> the TR6 this winter.

You'd better hurry - only 16 days 'till Spring!!!

> And I have this TR250 motor sitting in the garage...

okay...

> And this header sitting in the garage...

okay...

> And the diff needs to come out....

okay...

> So, I'm thinking maybe I could move the TR6 out of Stock class...but still
> drive it on the street in the, uh, spirited fashion to which I have become
> accustomed.

Aha! VTR Modified class :-) My Faaaaa-vor-ite! Keep the interior, though
or you move to Prepared. My new favorite class. I think.

However, if the TR250 is all stock, I don' think the header moves you to
Mod - whoops just checked. It does. Oh well. We're talkin' Mod.

And of course SCCA would be Street Prepared unless you change the gears.
Then it's Prepared or my overall favorite - E Mod.

> Can anyone recommend a cam that won't leave it as a race car only?

A lot of folks in NET are putting in the Piper 285 cam. It has a really
intense lift, something like .470 at the valve, but only .278 duration.
Very smooth idle. Lots-o-torque. You have to cut the valve spring
pockets, though, so you might as well do a valve job if you go this route.

If you recall VTR '98, Frank Frett had the Piper 285 setup, he able to
pick the front right wheel about 18 inches in the air when he accelerated
in right hand corners. Looks waaaaaay kool. Of course I was too busy
talking to get it on video!!

> Gotta find a dyno close by....:-}

Or get a G-tech and keep guessing. :-)

Bye,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |