fot

Aluminum Flywheels

To: "'fot@autox.team.net'" <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Aluminum Flywheels
From: Bill Manning <gripdad@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 12:10:01 +0000
    Last year at the VARA qualifying race in Phoenix at PIR I, in my
Spitfire, was trying to catch Steve Smith who was leading the race in
his fire breathing GT6. I got caught in lapped traffic and Joe Siam in
his Spitfire blew past. This got my adrenaline up and I slammed third
gear at 7800 RPM. This sheared my flywheel bolts (ARP Super)  and gave
me the fireworks that we missed at the Fourth of July VARA race. My
aluminum flywheel, still spinning at 7800 RPM ate my starter gear and
scored the inside of my aluminum bell housing but was contained within
the bell housing and did not cause permanent damage to me, my flywheel
or the bell housing. Maybe I was lucky but I continue to use my aluminum
flywheel and bell housing with confidence.
                        Happy racing   -Bill- VARA EP Spitfire #3