fot

Overdrive Parts

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Overdrive Parts
From: Jack Wheeler <jwheeler@robus.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 07:29:25 -0500
Last Saturday a good friend of mine (John Reed) who drives a beautiful
small mouth TR-3 brought his (A-Type) overdrive transmission over and asked
me to take a look.  Said it had not been working properly and seemed to be
binding up.

When we pulled it apart, we found the sprag clutch completely destroyed
(inner member was in numerous pieces, etc.) and all of the thrust
washers/spacers between the annulus and the center housing were either gone
or destroyed.

We have a friendly machinist nearby who can salvage most of the major
components, but we don't have a source for a sprag clutch (inner member,
cage, and rollers - I think the spring clip is available new).  If anyone
has, or knows of anyone who might have overdrive parts for sale, please let
me know.  My friend would be willing to buy a sprag clutch, or a complete
'core' overdrive unit if available.

John is planning to drive his car to Portland, ME this summer for VTR (he
lives in Cincinnati).  Therefore, it is essential that we get his overdrive
back together for this trip.  We would greatly appreciate any help you
might be able to give us.