fot

Re: Spec Spitfire?

To: <ScottBarr8@AOL.COM>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spec Spitfire?
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:08:38 -0500
We have the Spec Sprites running here in Texas in CVAR. If I'm not mistaken,
the guy that started the thing is Roger Williams, out of Houston. He's a
High School shop teacher, and they build the cars as a class project. Roger
is no dummy, he gets to drive one and his students don't....no drivers
license! There are usually 5 to 6 Spec Sprites at each of our events, and
they run in Group 2. They are up against the MGB's, Fiats, Loti et al, and
tend to run a little slower, but have a great time on the 2.9 mile road
course at Texas World Speedway. The very long front straight is no fun in a
TR3, and I imagine the SpSp guys hate it as well. I don't get to run with
them because I'm in Group 4 (pre 1961), so I haven't seen them from the best
vantage point, but they look like they are lots of fun on the rest of the
track. We only have 1 occasional Spitfire show up, and I'm the only TR down
here, so I'd love to see a Spec Spit class (I need someone to share my
pain), but aren't the Spits actually going up in price as they attain some
collector value? Can you still find the under $750 core car it takes to
build a $4000-$5000 racecar? Could you get 5 or 6 guys to race in the same
venue? If so, you'd hear a cheer from down in the heart of TX.
Bob Kramer
59 TR3A
rgk@flash.net