fot

Re: SPONSORSHIP

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SPONSORSHIP
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:11:23 +0100

>Reading all the e-mail about the FOT decals and sponsorship reminds me of a
>time when sponsorship on racing cars started to become a big deal in
>Europe. Circa 1970-ish I was working in the Formula 5000 series as a race
>mechanic. A formula 5000 car in the series suddenly turned up painted
>BRIGHT NIPPLE PINK. - The team had obtained sponsorship from The London
>Rubber Company, who, as  Bill Dentiger and Jim Hill will tell you,
>manufacture CONDOMS under the brand name of DUREX - and 'DUREX'  was
>plastered  all over this 'pink' F 5000 car.

This is a most illuminating statement.as it relates to Bill and Jim -
enquiring minds would like to know more.
I once gave a fully inflated condom on a long piece of string to a postulant
nun on the last night of what had been a fortnight of filth, fornication and
debauchery in Ireland. I guess I was 22 at the time and I think she was a
little younger.
The sweet child honestly thought it was a fairground balloon and took it
back to give to the Convent to give to the Mother Superior as she belonged
to a Poverty Order. And who didn't have his camera to hand as she walked
away proudly holding it aloft.

>Now this race was being televised by the BBC, who had a heart attack when
>they first set eyes on the DUREX car. A high level board meeting was
>convened at the BBC, who concluded, in the true tradition of  BBC propriety
>and exactitude, that under no circumstances should this car be televised.
>Threats of sackings were also issued to any cameraman who disobeyed orders.

And absolutely right! Sex enters everything these days and being a firm
traditionalist, the FIA should show its mettle and ban all advertising on
cars. I enjoy racing for the sight of cars in British Racing Green, Italian
Racing Red, French Blue and wasn't it silver that the Huns preferred? If I
want to watch adverts, I can drink my fill from TV.