fot

Re: A trick learned whilst Flying

To: <Catpusher@AOL.COM>, <bwarner@mediaone.net>, <kaskas@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: A trick learned whilst Flying
From: "Pat Ryan" <psryan@novazone.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 06:57:28 -0500

> I have discovered that landing on the grass helps avoid
> most blown tires.  Another trick that I learned, on the fly,
> so to speak (at Road Atlanta) is that an in-flight barrel roll
> can be stopped by clouting a stout tree 15 feet in the air,
> resulting in a wheels down landing.  Some checking of
> the alignment may be wise afterwards.
> The usual safety disclaimers apply.
>
> Hardy

Man, I wish I had known about that grass thing.

First time out in the new Silver Spit.  Road America, turn two, motor
seized, slide for life, curbing.........full gainer with 1 1/2 twist, landed
squarely on four wheels on asphalt with no slide...driver unhurt.  Workers
flashed four 5.9's and one 6.

Lesson learned......just because it looks like there was not much body
damage doesn't mean the car shouldn't be written off.  Everything was
bent......just a little.  Three flats and four ruined suspensions.  Four
years later car still unfinished.

Pat Ryan

PS:  I worked corners at Road Atlanta for 10 years and never saw a car hit a
tree.  Where can you get to the trees?