fot

Re: SPONSORSHIP

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SPONSORSHIP
From: bwarner@mediaone.net
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 09:42:44 -0400
Paul Richardson wrote:

> Dear FOTers
>
> Reading all the e-mail about the FOT decals and sponsorship reminds me of a
> time when sponsorship on racing cars started to become a big deal in
> Europe. Circa 1970-ish I was working in the Formula 5000 series as a race
> mechanic. A formula 5000 car in the series suddenly turned up painted
> BRIGHT NIPPLE PINK. - The team had obtained sponsorship from The London
> Rubber Company, who, as  Bill Dentiger and Jim Hill will tell you,
> manufacture CONDOMS under the brand name of DUREX - and 'DUREX'  was
> plastered  all over this 'pink' F 5000 car.
>
> Now this race was being televised by the BBC, who had a heart attack when
> they first set eyes on the DUREX car. A high level board meeting was
> convened at the BBC, who concluded, in the true tradition of  BBC propriety
> and exactitude, that under no circumstances should this car be televised.
> Threats of sackings were also issued to any cameraman who disobeyed orders.
>
> The task proved extremely difficult for the BBC cameramen because when the
> flag dropped the pink DUREX car was leading the race for much of the time.
> The race turned out to be a bad advert for DUREX, however, because the car
> eventually went out with a burst tyre!!.
>
> Yours in Triumph
>
> Paul
>
> televise this car. under any circumstances circumstances be
Does anyone remember the Texture Plus Corvette at the ARRC in Atlanta.
It had the sponsors product painted down the hood spear.  Very clever
marketing.  I also wondered if there was any symbolism when Alan Jones
Durex sponsored F1 car crashed into the Rizla-Penthouse car at Watkins
Glen.   B. Warner