fot

Not revs but power

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Not revs but power
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:24:52 +0100
Dear FOTers

Whilst we're on the subject of high revs etc, and 'special' engines, I came
across the most remarkable 'Triumph' engine I've ever seen last year. It
was made by hand by a Triumph engineer - just for fun. He had a bee in his
bonnet about the high efficiency of  a well designed constant vacuum
carburetor, and wanted to prove it.

He designed and made a four stroke single cylinder 'hemispherical' engine
to his own design and, of course, a constant vacuum carb and an ignition
system to go with it. He also made a test brake specifically to test this
engine. When I tell you that the cubic capacity of the engine is 'TEN' cc
and it stands about 5 inches high; the superb craftsmanship becomes
apparent. The engineer in question made every single part of the engine,
including the c.v. carb, by hand - and the tiny test brake to go with it.
Needless to say his carb and engine was very efficient because the engine
was successfully tested many times and developed the equivalent of  100BHP
per litre.

Best wishes

Paul