fot

heads, blocks, gaskets

To: friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: heads, blocks, gaskets
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 08:51:22 -0500
Yesterday I posted a note regarding leaking joints at the head/block
junction. I hope no one interpreted that message as being disparraging
towards the copper gaskets. I have used the steel gaskets plain, steel
gaskets with wires, and the copper gaskets. I find the copper gaskets to
work just fine.

The head gasket failures I've had that were not of my own making DID NOT
OCCUR AT THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER. They occurred between the water cavity
next to the liner and the oil gallery. Critical inspection of the blocks
reveal a severely darkened area there, indicating past corrosion that
none of these gaskets seem to seal very well, despite sealing well at
the combustion chamber. Thus my comment regarding tired blocks.

I do not use high pressure radiator caps (I use 7 psi max). I use Copper
Kote gasket sealant but maybe should use something more tenacious. So,
I'm continuing to puzzle over how to use the less compliant gaskets but
seal that area more positively. Thanks for all the comments. It sounds
like no one else has identified this particular area as a problem, so
maybe I just got a couple of tired blocks.
--
uncle jack
61 TR4 Racer  -- fast car