fot

An old friend revisited...

To: fot@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: An old friend revisited...
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 21:14:53 EDT
Fellow keepers of the faith-

It was a "Tim Taylor" kind of weekend. (Fill in your best more power grunt
here...). The lake was "awash" with the sound of unmuffled big blocks
straining to pull prop blades thru the viscous waters. RPM's resonating thru
the valley in cadence with the skipping of the craft from wave to wave. And
overhead our local P51 Mustang pilot straffed the imaginary hordes that dwell
in the dell next to my house. (I don't wanna say that he was making a full
power low level pass, but he really should have that molar checked as the
cavity is getting noticeable !)
To do my part for the weekend, I actually dug the TVR out of the dark
recesses of the shop and took it for a spin. We are talkin grin factor here.

The majority of the weekend I spent with "an old friend." 22 years ago I
stuck my then current SCCA  TR motor in the corner and figured I would NEVER
so much as look at again. Funny how things change. As I pulled it down, it
was eerie just thinking that this motor had been sitting there all this time,
and now the same hands were touching parts of it not seen for lo these many
years. In actuality, the motor was in great shape. In fact if I had known how
good it was inside I wouldn't have taken it apart! (I guess running a
dehumidifier all these years has helped.)  Not only are the bores good
(crosshatch still apparent), the bearings looked perfect and the pan gasket
cement was still sticky. For once it appears that something has gone right on
the Duke of Oil, wait, this part didn't come from the Duke...maybe that's a
clue.

Oh well, had a great weekend, hope everyone else had similar positive vibes...
        Nick of Nor Cal