fot

Help!!! Advice Needed Urgently - New Tyres

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help!!! Advice Needed Urgently - New Tyres
From: Wes Dayton <wdayton@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 20:26:34 +1000
Some of you may know that last weekend I headed off for an Historic meet
at Winton.  A full report will come, but suffice it to say for the
moment that we had rain, rain and rain.  I managed to stay on the track
for most of the day, but my only real success was that late on Sunday I
uncovered the last remaining set of Yoko A008RS tyres in 195x15.  I put
them on the car, put the car on the trailer, and now I find I have an
"opportunity" to run at an "invitation only" all British sports car
event at one of our favourite tracks just outside of Canberra.  I feel
even more unprepared than usual, but circumstances dictate that I'll
arrive Sunday in time for scrutineering, a practice run and then 2 or 3
races.

Here's some background:

- Brand new (un-buffed) A008RSs.
- Car has been run on Hoosier Vintage TDs (5.50x15) for past two years.
- Although different tracks dictate different pressures, general I have
been running      27lbs front, 24 rear.  3 pounds differential in
general has seemed to produce a well-balance car.
- Track is quite tight.
- Temperature will likely be cold (can't remember my Fahrenheit, but
probably in the 40s?).

So here are my questions as I head out into the unknown for that first
practice lap.

- What pressure would you use to start out?  Assume a dry track.
- Any comments about wet conditions and the Yokos?

Heading off in the morning, so a quick answer beats a thoughtful slow
one.  And when I get the time, I'll tell ya all about it.