fot

Spitfire with Weber Problem-Solution

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire with Weber Problem-Solution
From: "Vince De Palma" <greenery@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:57:40 -0700
Thanks so much to those of you who responded to my request.  I now have a
small wealth of information on Webers.  It turns out it wasn't the carb at
all but the Mallory distributor.  When the distributor slipped out because
the stock bracket didn't fit, it must have knocked the advance curve out of
whack so that at speed the advance was ok but at idle it was firing after
tdc.  As a result it would stutter and burble when the throttle was opened.
No wonder I couldn't find it.
Chuck Gee wins the diagnostic award for pinpointing the problem.

Vince De Palma
VARA Spitfire #73