fot

RE: State of the FOT

To: "'TR3197@AOL.COM'" <TR3197@AOL.COM>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: State of the FOT
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 13:26:10 -0500
Joe wrote:

> 2001 Triumph Odyssey:  While in Portland an informal meeting was held with

> the Bownes and the Drews to discuss some intineraries regarding the trip
> England in 2001. Time frame is likely to be in June/July. Information
> gathering will take place. Events and lodging location will be published
in
> the future. Although it is expected that most will elect to be on their
own
> or travel by couples, there will be common meeting points during a 2-4
week
> period. We have the time and the e-mail organization to do this, and
> hopefully these efforts will be supported by our "Friends" in England.
More
> Later. (BTW, the Benford Banner will likely appear at Goodwood Festival of

> Speed, as well)

The Goodwood Festival of Speed at Lord March's estate was recently covered
on Speedvision. I like the idea of a "demonstration" hillclimb (and I
especially like the idea of having a 1.5 mile driveway on which to hold it).
This event is held in June/July, but there's also a vintage race meeting at
Goodwood (as opposed to the hillclimb and concours) in September. See
http://www.goodwood.co.uk/.

This year's upcoming race meeting at Goodwood is described as:
Fri 17th Sept:- Practice day. Over 300 of the worlds greatest cars and
motorcycles will take to the track to familiarise themselves with the
sweeping curves of this legendary battleground.
Sat 18th Sept:- Practice and Raceday. In the morning there is official
practice as the drivers and riders battle it out for places on the grid.
Spectatcular air displays over the former RAF aerodrome.
Sun 19th Sept:- The big day with an atmosphere of romance and style and a
magical moment in the motor racing calendar. Step back in time, dress up in
1948-1955 period costume and watch heroes of the past as well as Formula
1/Champ Car drivers take up the challange in a programme of twelve races
featuring Ferrari, BRM, Lotus,Cooper, Aston Martin and Jaguar.
Amongst those drivers already confirmed are:
Damon Hill, Johnny Herbert, David Coulthard, Barry Sheene, Stirling Moss,
Jack Brabham, John Surtees, Phil Hill and Bobby Rahal.
[spelling errors and UK spelling variants in the original]
So are we talking about the June or September events?
Jim Hill