fot

Re: Tubed Hoosiers?

To: Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tubed Hoosiers?
From: BillDentin@AOL.COM
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 13:53:36 EDT
Jim:

It has been my experience that ALL vintage racing tires leak to some degree.
I clean my wheels and tires between each event so that I can watch for cracks
in my old American Racing wheels.  I did not have much problem with
BFGoodrich Team TA radials, but the Hoosier and Dunlop bias ply tires (all of
them) seem to leak both at the rim, and right through the side wall.  When I
scrub them with soappy water, they bubble, right through the sidewall.
Scary, huh?  There is supposed to be something to retard this that gets
painted on the inside of the tire.  A tire mounting guy should know about
this.  While tubes is an alternative, I do not think it is a good one.  Past
that, it is kind of like oil leaks, you will have to decide what is
acceptable and what is not.

Bill Dentinger