fot

Once and Future Triumphs

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Once and Future Triumphs
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:17:26 -0600 (MDT)
I spend a fair bit of my energies involved in tasks that support the
continued existence and appreciation of not only our beloved Triumphs,
but crufty old sports cars of various other heritage.  There's even a
Twingo list, for those folks who live in places where you can still buy
a Renault.

So this weekend it struck me as ironic, given the work I put in keeping
Triumphs alive, to be cutting up the remains of a couple of cars.  As I
mentioned in passing, I had delivered a Mark 1 Spit parts car to a fellow
who lives a bit north of here, and came back from that errand with two
frames.  One, from a Spitfire 1500, wasn't really that bad, there were
some decent parts to it.  It is now leaning against the side of the shed,
where it will likely sit for quite some time, waiting to become part of
some future project.

The GT6 Mark 3 frame, though, did not fare as well.  This frame came from
a wrecking yard hidden beneath a roundtail Spit body.  Hard to say what the
reasoning or chain of events involved in that might have been.  It was easy,
however. to say that the frame was ready for the scrap heap.  While it sat
in the wrecker's a few bits were removed.  And as junkyard "mechanics" are
often prone to doing, all parts were removed with the blue wrench, including
the diff.  So there was not much useable frame left in the rear suspension
area.  So it goes.

But some of the brakes and suspension bits may well find their way onto my
Mark 1 street Spit this winter, so the sacrifice was not all for naught.

mjb.

ps: And yes, I am *seriously* thinking of a Rescue Road Trip to Vegas soon....