fot

Re: TR7

To: billsohl@interactive.net, fot@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: TR7
From: TRBILBO@AOL.COM
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 01:56:39 EDT
Fellow FOT...especially TR7 lovers...

TR7 four speeds show up about twice a month in the local pick-ur-parts yards
out here. Have grabbed at least ten of them over the last three years for
club members. Very cheap and not always clean boxes of course. Amazing how
many we still find. But they did sell quite a few too!!

 Here's a recent ad (three days old) which shows the type of TR7 deals avail
yet. Kinda wish I had more room at times. Almost. But I'd rather stay married
and keep the collection under 9 cars at a time. Any takers?? (I chose not to
post the photos)

Bill Burroughs
--------------------
Bill,

Thanks for the help. I do know about VTR and the SD club. A fellow who has a
Triumph repair shop here in SD and is heavily involved in the club said
it wasn't worth contacting them. It's the whole "TR7s don't really
count" story. No one in the club wants one! I know "the wedge" doesn't
have a lot of fans, it isn't the classic like its older brothers. But
it's a fun car to drive, and decent looking too. I'd like to keep it,
but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards.

The problem is not so much that it can't be fixed, but that it is an
"unknown quantity". I could redo the head gasket, but is the head
warped? Cracked?  And there are other things--the exhaust, maybe the
suspension. I can't do it myself, and I can't find someone reliable who
will fix it right. Even if I could, I am not sure I want to put more $
into it. I already paid to have a replacement engine put in, and now the
head gasket is blown. It's not worth taking it back to my guy, and the
Triumph club repair guy I talked to won't touch it! I haven't had much
success with other British repair shops in the area. I've been in SD for
ten years and have been through many of them, between this car and the
'79 Spit I drove here from NJ.

I do have garage space and can hang onto it until I find a way to fix
it. (Maybe there's a nice single guy out there who likes to work on
British cars--haha!)  But it is not doing any good to have the poor
thing sit there... and I am about to buy a house. So I am hoping I can
find someone who wants to fix it up or use it for parts. I'd just hate
to take to a junkyard. The body panels and seats alone must be worth
something to the right person. I've also put in lots of other parts over
the past few years--water pump, battery, alternator, etc. I have all the
repair records.

I've been scanning the web for TR sites, posting it whereever I can.
Because it is mechanically questionable, it won't make it very far
without some work, so I am retricted to SoCal. I do have a Jeep Cherokee
that I can use to tow it somewhere.

Here are some pictures (hopefully you can open them). It's a nice
looking car--even if it's the poor stepchild of the Triumph family!

Thanks again!

Sue

FOT members...with offers or words of encouragement, feel free to contact Sue
in the San Diego/La Jolla area at             sue.romano@main.ontogen.com