fot

RE: Autocrossing and Brakes

To: Jack Brooks <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: RE: Autocrossing and Brakes
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 09:42:29 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

Jack, I blasted this to FOR, just for yucks.

Jack asked about my current project's name: Khartu.

Khartu is the correct spelling. It's actually an Arabic word, although
I'm not exactly sure what it means, but I suspect it means "to set forth"
as in ma akh-khartu == I have set forth.

It started out as a reference to the car being my second TR6 - car two.
But I wanted something with an interesting sound. I've been somewhat
uncreative with my car names, and that's a shame because my parents had a
long tradition of interesting names for thier cars - Sturdley ('29
Studebaker), Dream Boat ('40 Ford _convertible_) etc. That tied in with
the fact that my computer names at work follow an Egyptian theme (isis,
ankh, etc.), I thought a phonetic spelling of cartwo might be fun. Thus:
khartu. I only made the language connection about 6 months ago when
surfing the 'net and looking for the string khartu. Ironically, I've
been referring to the car as Khartu for over a year... If you do a
'net search for that string, you will get many hits that tie into Arabic
literature and the Koran. And a few folks that happen to have the last
name Khartu...

Hopefully, I won't be labelled an Infidel by the Muslims!

In other words - I'd better be good with this car or: "I'm not worthy".

Next car: Asratu - ma asratu - I have delayed.

Maybe. Maybe ma asratu "next car" because ma "out of money".

;-)
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |