fot

RE: Re: figure 8 gaskets

To: TR3197@AOL.COM, mordyd@email.msn.com
Subject: RE: Re: figure 8 gaskets
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 08:21:25 -0700
re: copper gasket reuse
Back in the dim dark days when I was a motorcycle mechanic, most two strokes
used a solid copper ring for a head gasket. The factory said to never re-use
them, but we did all the time. We would anneal them by heating them red hot
with a propane torch and dropping them in water. I know that's the reverse
of annealing steel, but it works. The gasket becomes as soft as the new
ones.

Of course this has nearly nothing to do with the current conversation (which
I find fascinating by the way), but all this talk of copper gaskets
triggered some random neuron firing, and you never know when an odd bit of
info will come in handy.