fot

Re: Let's Change the Topic to Herald Convertible

To: EISANDIEGO@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Let's Change the Topic to Herald Convertible
From: Andrew Mace <amace@UNIX2.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:16:24 -0500 ()
On Mon, 22 Nov 1999 EISANDIEGO@AOL.COM wrote:

> Dear FOTers
>
>     Saw a 1963 Herald Triumph Convertible for sale..
>
>     Do any of you own one of these? Strengths/weakness ...what is fair
> price???

Weakness first. The Herald has a chassis that is more than a little prone
to serious rot. If you've got a solid chassis, great. If not, well....

Most all of the "outriggers" are replaceable, although replacing any of
them pretty much involved lifting off the body for proper "jigging" and
welding. If the main rails are rusted through anywhere, you need at least
a new chassis (maybe just find a better example?).

Beyond that, weaknesses are few, and strengths are those of any Triumph,
particularly the mechanically similar Spitfire sibling (the Spit was
derived from the Herald). The nice thing about a Herald is that you can
bolt on or in just about any "performance" item you could bolt on or in to
a Spitfire. They're still a kick to cruise around in even in basic 40 hp,
drum brake form, but they can be easily and safely upgraded to a 75 hp (or
more) OD gearboxed, disc-brake-stopped, swing-spring or camber compensator
suspended Spitfire-esque driver...and STILL hold four people.

Price? Tough to determine, as with most such cars. MAYBE $1000-1500 for a
decently solid and complete one needing some paint and other freshening,
up to $4000 or better for a top-flight original or restored car.

Run some commission, engine, etc. numbers by me on a particular car and I
can give you a bit more detail on spec's based on those numbers.

>     Is this a convertible solution for a Dad with two small children or is it
> headaches ?

Small children, yes, maybe up to about age 12 or so, depending on how
quickly they're growing and how long a trip you plan to take. The one real
shortcoming of the convertible's back seat area is the quite upright
seatback. If you're comfortable sitting in that position and you're not
too awfully tall, it's not so bad.

Yes, I speak from personal experience, btw. I still have the one that my
late dad bought new when I was only 11 -- so I know well about the back
seat ride. I've also got several other Heralds as well (but then most of
the rest of you KNEW that, right?)!

--Andy