fot

Non-anecdotal evidence

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Non-anecdotal evidence
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:21:24 -0000
Friends - I offer this titbit for your review.

In the late 'fifties, Standard Triumph commissioned its new
assembly plant at Coventry. It had cost a fortune to build
and in its day was affectionately known as 'The Rocket
Range.' It was such a state of the art construction, that
many other manufacturer personnel came from around the world
at different times to Oooh and Aaah.

The Rocket Range had many new features - and one or two
oddball fixtures and fittings that perhaps weren't exactly
in the mind of the factory planners when the building was
being kitted out as a car assembly hall. At the far end of
the assembly tracks was the water test and through this high
pressure blaster, ALL cars had to go. On the Herald line,
the man who sat inside each car had to wear substantial
water-proof clothing. If you've ever been in a Herald on a
very wet day, you'll know this was essential apparrel.

Paradoxically, there was what can best be termed as a vital
installation above the water test in the form of the
lavatories catering respectively for users of either sex. I
must admit, it did look a bit odd as you walked down the
lines towards water test to see a large construction atop of
it with a sign bolted to either side. One said "Ladies" the
other "Gents."

The following is an entirely true story I wrote recently in
The Triumph 2000 Club magazine in England. I know its true
because I was the tour guide.

Overhead conversation between an American wife (visitor) to
her husband at the end of the Herald/Spitfire/GT6 assembly
track.
"Bra-a-a-d?"
"Honey?"
"Brad, I'm not so sure us picking up our car, 'factory
fresh' was such a good idea!"
"Why's that, baby?"
"Just look, Brad. The Men's Room is directly overhead of the
water test and a man's just got out of that car wearing
protective clothing! Oh, Brad, why didn't we choose to have
our automobile delivered back home, instead of here?"
"Now honey, don't worry. I'm sure there's a very good reason
for putting the men's room there."
"I guess so." (then tugging at the jacket sleeve of the Tour
Guide) "Excuse me, I'm really worried. Is the men's room put
above the water test because ordinary water's rationed in
England?"

John Macartney