fot

Thoughts before dinner

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thoughts before dinner
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:17:52 -0000
FOTers

As I sat at my office desk upstairs in my home, I decided to finish work
early and pack up PC work (DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT 'PC' OVER HERE IS AN
ABBREVIATION FOR 'PERSONAL COMPUTER'). As I switched off, and left my desk
nice and untidy, I cast my mind to the homely comfort of my easy chair
downstairs, and the soothing lick of gentle flames as they play around the
logs in our open fire.

As always prior to dinner, I walk into the small house extension I'm
building to check what I'm going to do next. As I pondered the bare stone
walls, and whilst mentally deciding where I was going to chase in the wires
for the wall lights, I took up my regular seated position, whist admiring a
framed picture under the small garden window. It's a favorite water color
of mine of the 'Pont St.Marie Bridge' over the river Seine in Paris. It was
painted by an old and very dear friend who is a Frenchman of only five feet
in height. By trade he's a steel erector and he goes by the name of Marcel
Le Grande.

Anyway, as dusk began to fall, I made myself comfortable and my eyes
chanced a glance through the small garden window. Beyond, the last rays of
sunlight trickled their way through the branches of the tall Yew tree in
the bottom meadow, and danced through the golden leaves of the old apple
tree before me - as if to say I'll shine for you tomorrow. As mother sun
gently laid her head on the pillow of the eastern horizon; the skies above
her turned from pastel shades of vermilion and sea green to subtle, lighter
shades of burnt amber and gold. The silken clouds seemed fired with such
beauty - I always wonder what other masterpieces lay  beyond, as darkness
slowly began to cloak the skies.

I sat further back, as my Springer Spaniel 'William' took up his usual
position between my knees, where he sat. And with his chin pressed to my
knee, and his sparkling brown eyes adoringly watching my every move, his
tail began to wag in that knowing way that my mission in the extension was
shortly to be concluded before dinner. I cast my head back in wonderment at
the beauty of the early night sky. The silken moon was rising, and the
pictured masterpiece of the starry heavens before me was as if the giant
hand of a Greek God had cast handfuls of sparkling sequins across a
tapestry of black velvet. As I looked up at the chill night sky before me
in total awe of the magical beauty of mother nature, my knees began to feel
cold, and as I ripped up the last two pages of a recent Graham Robson
article, I said to myself - After three years, it really is about bloody
time I put the roof on this outside toilet!!

Paul