fot

FOT Introduction

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: FOT Introduction
From: WEmery7451@AOL.COM
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 16:08:37 EST
--part1_0.994f0cda.2571a255_boundary

236 Sleepy Hollow Road
Pittsburgh, PA. 15216-1714
Phone: 412-563-1096
E-mail:  WEmery7451@aol.com (Bill Emery)

Dear FOT Members,

Hardy Prentice (probably the most famous TR-3 race car driver in the US)
suggested that I should introduce myself and try to use the massive knowledge
available from The Friends of Triumph.  With my limited experience with the
Internet, I will attempt to do this.

After buying a 1959 TR-3 in 1962, I first drove it on the highway and ran it
in hill climbs and autocrosses.  On May 2 & 3, 1964; I completed a SCCA
drivers school, and am still racing the same car 35 years later.  It has
never been mashed up so badly that it couldn't be fixed.  Many engines,
transmissions, and differentials has passed through this car.

This car turned the quickest times in the early 80's.  Prior to this time, the
engines were equipped with the real Kastner "D" and "F" cams, and then several
copies of the "G-3" cam.  Then I finally was able to buy a real Kastner "G-3"
cam from someone at the track.  This cam had the highest lift of any cam I
ever used, and I had to return to using small block Chevy valve springs.  My
fastest times were turned using this cam, an overdrive transmission, Ams Oil
in the engine, and a 4.45 rear end ratio.  The tire diameters have dropped
over the years and I am now back to a 3.7 rear end ratio.  After a few engine
explosions in a row, I gave up Ams Oil and am copying the Jack Wheeler
Valvoline 20W/50 Racing Formula with Mr. Moly, since Molydine is no longer
available.  I bought a couple cases of Castrol Syntec per Bob Criss's
recommendations, but have been afraid to use it.  I haven't had to rebuild any
transmissions or differentials since the early 80's after starting to use the
Ams Oil gear lube in both units.

I never set the world on fire with this car, but it allowed me to participate
for 3 1/2 decades while hiding and hoarding money for sending three kids
through college. For the last several years, I have been in the survival mode
of finishing races to maintain a license, rather than going fast.  Age may now
be taking over, and I hope to run a few more seasons before being kicked off
of the track.  I better quit boring non-racers with trivia.  A couple of
questions:

1) For years I used a gear shifter knob for a split-shift transmission for
trailer trucks to shift into and out of overdrive.  This knob fell apart a few
times and I made some parts for it when they were lost.  The on/off switch
still works but not very well.  Where can I get another one?  What did other
racers use to switch in and out of overdrive?  (I started some feeble efforts
of looking for close ratio gear boxes, but never got off the ground with this.
Some past racers who used these units say that their fastest times were still
turned with the heavy, unreliable OD units.)

2) Several times I started to look for a fiber glass hood and trunk lid for
the car, and even started to make molds.  Then an explosion turns this effort
into low priority.  Does anyone know where these panels may be available?  I
bought a Fiberglas nose piece from the Roadster Factory a few years ago, but
haven't time to install it yet.