fot

Re: Mosquito questions

To: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mosquito questions
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:17:15 -0000
>Richard wrote
>> Paul,
>> You failed to mention that the Mosquito registered 397mph
in level
>flight.
>> Down South here they might say, "That's hauling the wood
pretty good."
>> Richard
>> Atlanta
>
>Hi Richard
>
>Sorry guys for not mentioning speed, but your quote Richard
is a little shy
>of the maximum speed of a Mossy. Many pilots claimed speeds
of over 500 MPH
>in level flight. The highest recorded speed achieved in
level flight,
>however, was 439 MPH on November 1942 during a series of
test flights.

Am I wrong or wasn't the Mossy also used for 'diverting' V1
flying bombs - on a return to sender arrangement? I know
that Spitfires stripped of all armour plate, guns etc etc -
and on full boost could just about keep up with a V1 but I
thought Mossy's were similarly used bewcause they were
faster

Jonmac