fot

Re Don Healey's prang in his Dolomite

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re Don Healey's prang in his Dolomite
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 11:58:05 -0000
I think it was Scott Fisher who thought Donald Healey had his prang in
Denmark. I'm 99% sure that you were right Scott. It was on the 1935/6 Monte
Carlo Rally - not the Mille Miglia. About half a dozen 'sharp' competitors,
including Don Healey, worked out that by hiring a car ferry somewhere in
Denmark the trip across a lake or river would cut considerable mileage off
a particular stage. When they disembarked the ferry however they were met
by a 'pea souper' of a fog. Apparently, a few miles from the ferry the six
cars encountered an ungated railway crossing. A couple of the cars made it
over, probably totally unaware that a train was approaching. Donald Healey,
however, was hit by the train just as he crossed, luckily he was not
injured but the Dolomite was written off from the scuttle well forward.

Paul