fot

Re: Clutch help!

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>, Susan Hensley <susan@bearcom.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch help!
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@smtp.interactive.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 02:15:17 +0000
Susan wrote:
> Really, I have a question for the collective wisdom before I pull the
> trans on Tristan (again).  He sat up for quite a time while I worked on
> the house, etc.  I finally got the engine running and went to put him
> into gear for a test drive and the clutch was frozen.  I thought a
> simple bleed would take care of it, but it didn't.  The clutch pedal
> went to the floor while bleeding and froze again when the slave nipple
> (NO comments allowed on that one, guys ;) was closed.  Is this a symptom
> of the throwout arm being messed up in some way, before I get into it,
> or could there be a simpler fix, like whacking the end of the yoke pin
> where it exits the trans case?  I was told to put it into gear and try
> to start it and that would unstick it, but when I did so, it started up
> quite nicely in neutral and stayed there, no matter which gear I tried
> to shift into.  And whatever has happened did so on its own while it was
> sitting (on jackstands with all 4 wheels off) in the garage.

I have encountered a "stuck" clutch plate to flywheel on
several occasions.  The following has worked for me
every time.  I offer this with no guarantee of anything
not breaking in your case.

1. Jack up the rear of the car so the tires are off the pavement.

2. Start the car with the engine engaged in 4th gear.

3. Depress the clutch pedal.

4. While keeping the engine reving at about 2500
or so RPM, keep the clutch depressed and
nail the brakes using your third foot (heel and toe)
or have someone else keep the revs going with
a stick, etc.

If the flywheel is just stuck because of an
apparent stickiness, etc that usually works to
free it.

As before, that has worked several times for
me with a TR-3.

Bill Sohl