fot

Tech Question for R. Kastner

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tech Question for R. Kastner
From: "Vince De Palma" <greenery@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:04:14 -0800
I also support publishing Kas's technical advice--and here's a question to
start on.  I am renewing my Mk I Spitfire's (racing) engine with new rings,
valves and guides (a little winter freshening) and I noticed that the head,
although milled substantially, has not had the recommended Kastner treatment
in terms of relieving the area around the intake valves and the exhaust port
enlargement.  My question is, since by relieving the intake valve area I am
reducing the compression ratio by virtue of removing metal from the
combustion chamber am I gaining more power by the relieving than I lose in
compression?  If I don't re-work the head the compression ratio will be
either 12:1 or 14:1, depending on which copper gasket I use.
Vince De Palma
Chicken Yellow Spitfire Pilot