fot

RE: Virus Hoaxes (was Re: Virus Warning)

To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Virus Hoaxes (was Re: Virus Warning)
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:05:38 -0800
For what it's worth, the folks who create virus hoaxes seem to be a fairly
unimaginative bunch, or maybe it's one very bored, very stupid person. Even
without going to CIAC you can filter out almost all of them with any three
of these five characteristics:

The message tells you to email everyone
It includes some third party authority without a link to check veracity
("IBM reported today", "AOL says")
It says there is no known cure
It says not many people know about it
There is some lame attempt at a technical explanation of how the virus works

There is a great spoof on virus hoaxes that I used to have around here
somewhere that I immediately send back to anyone who forwards me one. If I
could find it, I'd send it to you Jonmac.

You been used.