fot

Re: GT6/TR6 valve springs

To: <Gt6steve@aol.com>, <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GT6/TR6 valve springs
From: "R. Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 14:46:38 -0800
The seat pressure needed is really determined by the ramp angles and lift
per degree of the camshaft. I have always found that the least amount of
pressure I could use resulted in a longer life to the cam followers and the
camshaft.  Use alloy collars as they will reduce the amount of pressure
needed to keep the valves from floating.  Anything you can remove from the
valve side is a BIG help. In the beginning (before I made the alloy collars)
I used a  sharp edged grinding wheel to cut big wedges out of the steel
colars as I found you did not need the entire circumfrance of the collar to
hold the springs . In this way I ended up with a collar that looked like a
wide cross.  REALLY CHEAP, EASY TO DO AND QUITE EFFECTIVE.  In my pursuit of
lighter valve train I also cut the stem of the valves to a much smaller
diameter in alternate sections of the valve.  This was a lot lighter but
acted like a pump to pull oil down into the combustion chamber.  DARN. I
suggest you listen to the cam grinder for a recommendation.