fot

Vintage New Zealand

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Vintage New Zealand
From: John and Maggie Hornbostel <mgbme@tke.att.ne.jp>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 13:24:42 +0900
   Dear FOT,
        Greetings and best wishes for the new year.

    My wife Maggie and I were fortunate enough to bring in the New Year
while traveling in New Zealand. While I've known NZ to be  famous for
its sheep (large quantites of), beautiful mountains and glaciers, quick
sailing yachts, I was not prepared for the great numbers of vintage
autos and people who love to drive, race and talk about their cars.
    Any of FOT who have been to NZ will already be in the know. For
those of you who might be interested, highlights included:

- traveling by water taxi thru the Marlborough Sounds, talking with the
driver of the boat and finding that he and his son have campaigned all
manner of British Leyland and more recently Japanese imports across the
gravel roads of the South Island for 20 years.
- driving across the mountains between Picton and Greymouth and joining
a small collection of
vintage Talbot, Austin, Jaguar and Humbers. Tops down, in the rain and
smiling the whole way.
- continually seeing such cars used as everyday drivers: MKII, Triumph
2000, all manner of Rovers,
Anglia, Vitesse, Mini, Cortina.
- staying at a bed and breakfast in Christchurch operated by Allan Scott
and family, former member of many exciting TWR team racing efforts.
Sitting in his wonderful old home on a rainy afternoon watching the
video of the 1999 Dunlop Tyres Targa NZ race.This was a 5 day event that
covers from 90km to 120km per day of isolated bitumen roads in the North
Island for a total of 2000km of racing. One of the 1999 class winners
was a beautifully prepared and blistering fast TR7-V8.
- visiting the Southward Motor Museum just outside Wellington. Sir
Southward has been building, tweaking and racing just about anything
with a motor since 1915. His eclectic collection of autos, cycles and
one big ugly fast hydroplane (he held the NZ nautical speed record for
30+ years) is well worth a visit.
- traveling by high speed ferry from Wellington to Picton. Ferry holds
170 people, a number of cars and trucks, powered by twin turbo diesels
and cruises at 44knots in open water. Incredible.
- rumor has it that there is a auto rental company in Christchurch that
now has a selection of vintage cars for hire. Next trip!

    If anyone has plans to visit NZ in the new year and would like some
travel tips, let us know. We'll be going back soon!

John Hornbostel
TR3 vintage racer