fot

Re: Spotted Dick

To: <mikee@ragtops.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spotted Dick
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 23:30:22 -0000
>    I have been invited to supply a treat at an MG club
>meeting. I have decided to make and serve Spotted
>Dick. With custard!

YEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAA - you've succumbed to our culinary delight. Just the
thing for cold
winter days. With a gutful of 'Dick' sloshing around your innards, won't be no
Triumph
problem you can't solve.

>    I copied the recipe when it was posted back in
>November and being American I have some questions
>about the ingredients. Here in Pennsylvania suet is
>something we put out for the birds in the wintertime. I
>think it is mostly animal fat/lard, we also call it 'fat-back'.
>It this the stuff it means where the recipe calls for 2 oz
>shredded suet??

Sue Hensley's alternative will do fine - and treat it just as she did.

Am I correct that 'currants' are
>'raisins'?

They'll do! And a few dried dates (with the stones removed) go down well too.

What is a 'pudding basin'?

Any glass or crockery bowl will do.

>and how do I steam it?

Place it in a large saucepan or metal pot with water in the bottom so it comes
about
halfway up the side of the bowl. Cover the mixed ingredients of 'Dick' with
tinfoil. If
you want to give it a truly authentic British look, substitute the tin foil for
a piece
off an old cotton bedsheet (preferably freshly laundered) and tie it tightly
round the
edge of the bowl with string. When you cut the string, tell the MG owners to
keep it in
the glove box. They used to do this at Abingdon and it makes an excellent
emergency fan
belt - though you'll need several bits of string to make the whole.

>  For the custard is calls for 'caster sugar' is this our
>'powered' or 'confectioners' sugar?

That's too fine. Ordinary granulated should be OK but if you want to 'caster'
it, put some
in your blender and zap it for about two seconds - that's all.

>   I'm looking forward to trying this although I'm not sure
>if I'll know whether I've gotten right.

You'll survive !

Cheers
Jonmac