fot

Replacement of Historical Driver's Suit /stacks /OD

To: "'Catpusher@aol.com'" <Catpusher@aol.com>
Subject: Replacement of Historical Driver's Suit /stacks /OD
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 02:43:17 -0600
Two very small questions:

HP wrote:

> . . .
>I was wearing a Worth suit at the time,
>which had a number of  product patches to
>cover holes (at least we used nomex thread!).

While I was in the process of looking for Nomex (or equivalent) thread to
sew patches on some time back, I ran across a note somewhere recommending
cotton thread. The theory was that fireproof thread would hold the patch in
place while the patch itself was burning, while cotton thread would release
this potentially painfull heat source. (Of course this may not be a good
idea if the patch is covering a hole through the suit!) Any validity to this
advice?

>I could occasionally use 1st OD for tight
>corners like the spike at Riverside . . .

I only raced at Riverside twice in the sixties, but I don't recall "the
spike". Was this a corner on one of the modified versions of the course
(which I never ran). . . or just a senior moment on my part?

Jim Hill
Madison WI