fot

Re: Replacement of Historical Driver's Suit

To: BillB@bnj.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replacement of Historical Driver's Suit
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:01:40 EST
In a message dated 1/27/00 3:51:39 PM Pacific Standard Time, BillB@bnj.com
writes:

<< Wow, you must only race at very cold tracks. I yank my suit off as soon as
 hit the paddock. Even though I dryclean the thing religiously (Easter and
 Christmas), it has, shall we say, an amusing personal fragrance. It has a
 life of it's own. It's probably dating.

 As far as recommendations go, mine is simple--three layer (or three layer
 equivalent suit) and stay on the cheap side. Fireproof undies are just more
 stuff to take off and more for the drycleaner to lose. The guys who wear
 their long johns around in the paddock look like father christmas gone to
 seed.

You made an interesting point Bill, with dry-cleaning.  After every race
weekend, I would put my suit, underwear, etc in the washing machine, and use
a cool, gentle cycle.  I would then hang it up to dry rather than putting it
in the dryer.  Does this method damage the suit?

On extremely hot days, I occasionally take off the suit to keep from passing
out (hasn't happened yet).  Wearing it is a time saver since I am normally
struggling against time trying to fix something.  Being at the track by
myself about 95% of the time, this suit gives some extra warmth while in a
sleeping bag in an 87 250 uninsulated Econoling Van.  If my boy and his wife
are there, we get motel rooms.  Thanks for the input.  Bill Emery