fot

Re: the old single wire alternator deal

To: Mike Jackson <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>
Subject: Re: the old single wire alternator deal
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 21:21:59 -0600
Okay, class is back in session.

Maybe someone has a more desirable solution, but the simplest approach
is to use the GM mid-70's one wire alternator. No complicated wiring --
just one wire to the battery or master switch, depending on how you wire
it up. It bolts to the front of the front plate. It has a bigger hole in
it so requires drilling out the already egg-shaped hole in the front
plate to 7/16", and may take a little fiddling to make the pulleys line
up. Available through  J.C.Whitney for $75 to $85, also boat supply
houses -- have to keep things simple for those boat people. How's Glen
going to like having J.C Whitney parts on that car? When using these you
must give some attention to preventing the belt tension from pulling the
alternator around kind of cockeyed -- an additional bracket to the front
or a tube inserted in the stock mounting bracket and a loooong bolt all
the way through does the trick.

A more elegant approach is to use the mini one wire alternator available
speed freak catalogs like JEG's (their part number 358-2020, phone
1-800-345-4545). It's $139 and is made by East Coast Auto Electric. It
bolts up the same way and is smaller in size.

An additional nicety is the large diameter Moroso aluminum pulley which
slows down the alternator -- very important on those 8000 rpm

Most folks who use the above approaches have found them to be completely
trouble-free, but I think Jim Hill had one fail.

--

TR6 -- 29 years old
TR4 -- 39 years old