fot

Racing Mechanics

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Racing Mechanics
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2000 09:50:37 -0000
Hi gang

I've just come across an article I must have ripped out a motor magazine in
which the author says, 'How glamorous the life of a racing mechanic is,'
and how it carries 'perks' - like all 'expenses paid trips round the
world," and "teams of 60 hard working mechanics who change a set of tyres
and refuel in the miraculous time of  7 seconds," and " work well into the
small hours"

He' was obviously a young writer, because in my day there were usually two
of us looking after 1 car - often 1 of us. To change tyres we had quick
lift jacks we made ourselves, and had to undo 5 or 6 wheel nuts with speed
braces. I remember at Daytona and several European circuits we refueled
cars with five gallon churns, which had thin 16 gauge by inch handles. When
you'd refueled a car every hour and a half for twenty four hours your hands
were usually swollen and sore. As for 'working well into the small hours,'
I remember at one 24 hour race two of us rebuilt a gearbox over night in
first practice, and the engine the next night. Come race day we both looked
like we'd done ten rounds with George Foreman ( black eyes etc). When the
race started we'd had two all nighters and had another 24 hours to go. Half
way through the race we praying for an engine blow, so we could just fall
asleep where we stood. No such luck the car finished the race, we won the
class, packed the transporter drove back to the hotel and fell asleep in
our overalls on our beds missing the prize giving. Next day up at six to
catch the boat back to England.

I'm sure any race mechanics on the list, including Kas, will agree that
racing in the  sixties for mechanics was bloody hard work, - apart from
being a marvelous experience. - They've never had it so good these days.

Paul