fot

RE: Race mechanic's wages

To: Jack Brooks <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: RE: Race mechanic's wages
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 08:25:56 -0500
At 07:54 AM 2/2/00 -0500, Jack Brooks wrote:
>I missed out on (by a few months) a stack (8-10)
>of TR aluminum flywheels and lots of other spares, including an OD tranny,
>all of which was sold for $350.

Too bad!  That would have been quite a catch.

A bit off topic, but related:

That reminds me of a friend who was into Model T's.  He lived in
Minneapolis at the time (late 60's, early 70's).  One weekend, he
and a friend headed out to the Dakotas in a pickup truck.  They
came across a small, abandoned town with a gas station in the
middle.  Since it was falling apart, they decided to poke around
and discovered that it had been the local Ford dealership.  Up in
the attic were shelves full of NOS parts, body parts, engine parts,
you name it.  Anyway, they hightailed it to the county seat to
see who owned it, and discovered that it had been abandoned for so
long that it was fair game.  They loaded as much as they could into
the pickup truck and headed home.  It was several weeks (or more,
I don't know for sure) before they could rent a big U-Haul truck
and head back to liberate the rest of their treasure.  When they
arrived, they found that in the meantime, a tornado had hit the
remains of the town and completely leveled it.  There was nothing
of value left.

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu