fot

Fw: Armed police

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Armed police
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2000 21:53:50 -0000

Bill wrote
> From: WEmery7451@aol.com
> To: Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk; fot@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Armed police
> Date: 05 February 2000 17:50
>
> In a message dated 2/3/00 9:37:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk writes:
>
> I had always been brainwashed into believing that there were no guns in
> England except in the military.  While traveling north on a tour bus
towards
> Scotland, I noticed a farmer carrying a shot gun through his corn field.
> then assumed that the British are allowed to own shot guns and rifles the

> same as in the US

Hi Bill

Yes we are allowed to own shot guns providing we can produce the right
credentials. Rifles require a far more stringent licensing system and a
'Firearms license.' The control of shot gun and rifle ownership is very
exacting over here.

The main difference between the States and Britain, as far as firearms is
concerned, is that it is completely illegal for any British citizen to
carry a pistol or hand gun, with the severest penalties for offenders.
There are, however, special gun clubs where pistols can be used under
strict license, but there is a large lobby to ban even the ownership, or
use of, hand guns under any circumstances, and I must admit I am of this
persuasion. Essentially the streets of Britain are free of hand guns, and
you will never see a policeman with a hand gun (unless you stumble on some
real trouble where an armed response unit has been called).

Obviously most shot guns are licensed to members of the farming community -
probably the same in the States.

Paul