fot

Re: Spit Header;

To: Patrick McMullen <pmcmull@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Spit Header;
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:00:05 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Patrick McMullen wrote:

> Dan,

Folk...

> I may be way off base here but this is a formula for just such a
> dimension:
>
> P=(AxSxD²)divided by(1400xd²)
>
> Where as:
>
> P=    pipe length
> A=    degrees duration
> S=    stroke in inches
> D=    diameter of piston in inches
> d=    diameter of exhaust valve in inches
>
> This was given to me a number of years back by JK Jackson.  I'm
> sorry I do not remember what the constant (1400) represented.  The
> whole formula may be TR6 specific...but I don't think so.
> Somewhere I have a book with more math formulas then you can shake
> a stick at, all automotive related.
> Has anyone else seen this formula?

Yes, I have. It used to be on the Temple of Triumph web site a year or
two ago...

> Or did I just give away a
> "Super Secret" proprietory information tid bit (sorry JK!) only
> known to Irish rocket scientist!!!  (Is there such a thing?)

I believe 1400 is a constant for the speed of sound in feet per second,
but I could be wrong.

> Patrick McMullen in NC  (Yes I have a brother named Mike)

Bob in Cambridge... Massachusetts. No, not that liberal arts school up
the creek!

> I swear...NO whiskey was involved!

Ummm - okay Pat. Whatever you say.

later
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |