fot

Racing story

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Racing story
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 10:00:12 -0000
Hi Gang

I was talking to a pal of mine that worked on engine test at Coventry
Climax. He said that the test cell he was working in was so small that he
became worried about cell fires following engine blows on F1 engines etc.
He'd experienced difficulty getting out via the door during a flame out due
to severely restricted working space.  He said to Harry Mundy (designer) he
wanted a window in the test cell so he could jump out quickly if a fire
broke out.

During the summer holidays Harry had a window put in the test cell (just a
square, fettled hole knocked in the wall with a wooden shutter put in).
When my pal went back to work he noticed the 'window' and when he looked
out he was faced with a twenty foot drop into the Coventry canal!! He said
to Harry 'Christ that's a bloody long drop." Harry replied, Where would you
rather be if a fire broke out? - inside or falling into water?

Paul