fot

BT: Standard

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk, triumphs@autox.team.net, fot@autox.team.net (FOT)
Subject: BT: Standard
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:14:45 EST
In a message dated 20/03/00 23:08:28 GMT Standard Time, jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
writes:

<< Subj:
 Date:  20/03/00 23:08:28 GMT Standard Time
 From:  jonmac@ndirect.co.uk (John Macartney)
 To:    GuyotLeonF@aol.com (Leon Guyot)
 CC:    triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List), fot@autox.team.net (Friends
of Triumph)

 Leon Guyot wrote:

 I shall make up for it, by representing the TSSC as the officially invited
 representative at the dedication of the TR Registers' Triumph Monument at the
 Triumph factory site at Coventry on April 16th. After all, I love my Triumph.

 Leon - with some respect, I shall be there too - but in an entirely personal
capacity. No
 doubt I shall remember my Dad, many of his former colleagues and friends of
mine who have
 now died. Apart from visiting the original Triumph site in Priory Street and
commemorating
 the memory of Siegfried Bettmann later that day, I will be at Fletch
remembering the
 people of *The Standard Motor Company*. Please do not overlook the fact that
had it not
 been for Sir John Black of STANDARD, the Triumph name might not have
survived after
 November 14th 1940. The bottom line is your car and a good few others which
have survived
 were made at "the Standard" on the site of Aero One - they were not made at
Triumph and
 they used engines that first appeared in Standard cars and Ferguson tractors!
 Those of us who worked there regarded ourselves only as Standard employees
and many still
 do. What's more, we're proud
 of it. The fact that in a variety of roles we designed, made, sold and
serviced Standard
 and Triumph badged cars post war is how things should be seen and it's how
the various
 factory people who will be there, will regard things as well. For us, the
alternative
 perspective of enthusiasts that the former site is/was the Triumph factory
in isolation is
 both incorrect, irrelevant and bordering on snook-cocking contempt. This
subtle
 distinction may not matter to any of our transatlantic readers (or possibly
even you) -
 but it matters to many of us, big time.
 I love my 'Triumph' too - notwithstanding the fact that it is still regarded
by many 'on
 the inside' as a fuel injected Standard Vanguard and it shares an engine
which, like your
 Vitesse, had origins that first appeared in a Vanguard as well. If you
insist on calling
 and garlanding the whole affair as a Triumph event, then either do us former
employees a
 favour by staying away or if you do attend, at least remeber the thousands
who worked
 there as true employees of only The Standard Motor Company. I don't think
that's too much
 to ask.

 Jonmac

 I respect, you John, and of course after reading your book, your late
father, and indeed the workers at 'The Standard', especially all of those
fine Englishmen and Women who gave their lives, or their best years in the
service of this country, building the aircraft and necessary equipment
required for the war effort when their very existence was under daily threat,
not to mention the austere post war years of export or die.

My use of the word Triumph is not intended to be an insult to The Standard in
any way whatsoever, but merely the 'tag' which has been attached to all cars
of Standard origin post 1963.
The car I own wears the Triumph name, (however inappropriately), the club of
which I am a member is called a Triumph Club, and the internet lists are
called Triumph lists, again, not out of any disrespect to Standard.
When I was at Gaydon, for the FBHVC conference, I took a photo of the
painting of Sir John Black for my personal collection...and I spent some time
with the dear old Standards, and btw, I do collect Standard memoribilia and
books as well as all the Triumph stuff, and I always make a point of visiting
the Standard Car Club at car shows. I do understand the family connection.

Forgive me for the unintentional Triumph misnomer of the event, but at least
the monument is a replica of the Blue & White Standard Triumph shield, and
not any of the various Triumph badges...incidentally my old pals Brian
Blackwell and the wonderful gent, the late Patrick Holland from the Standard
Register told me that the shield was in fact a stylised representation of the
truncated wings of the Wyvern of Mercia. I don't know exactly how accurate
that story is, but it's pretty nice.

I will be at the monument unveiling and will not intrude upon your
reflections and memories if that is your wish.
btw, I was also at the closing down of the factory open day a few years back,
but my car was under restoration at that time, so I had to attend in another
Vitesse...but I am glad that I was there.

Kind Regards

Léon F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
Wimbledon, London, England.