fot

HSR/SVRA Merger

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: HSR/SVRA Merger
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:37:13 EST
FYI

HSR and SVRA Announce Alliance

Atlanta, Ga., Mar. 23 — Historic Sportscar Racing, Ltd. and the Sportscar
Vintage Racing Association, two of the country's premier vintage and historic
racing organizations, today jointly announced that they have entered into an
alliance involving cross investments by each organization in the other and
joint cooperation agreements.

The two organizations currently sanction and/or promote historic motor sports
events at many of the outstanding racing venues in the country, including
Sebring, Daytona, Mid Ohio, Road America, Road Atlanta, Lime Rock Park,
Watkins Glen, Virginia International Raceway, Summit Point, Roebling Road and
Moroso Motorsports Park.

"Principal benefits of the alliance will include a new spirit of cooperation,
with both organizations being able to proceed with an expanded schedule on a
sound financial and operational basis," said Steve Simpson of HSR. "Among
those benefits we expect to achieve from the alliance are a rationalization
of schedules, reduced costs, increased efficiency and bringing more and
better racing opportunities to our respective members."

"This should not be thought of as a merger," added Peter McLaughlin of SVRA
(left in the photo above, shaking hands with HSR's Competition Director, Joe
Pendergast. Click on photo for larger version). "Each of the organizations
will retain its individual character and separate existence, rules and
structure. The alliance has been designed to allow each organization to
achieve various operational synergies and I am particularly pleased that, as
a result, SVRA will be enabled to return to Road America, Sebring and Road
Atlanta. Another significant benefit of this move is that Carl Jensen will be
returning as Competition Director at SVRA."

"We have been working on this alliance for quite a while," noted HSR's
Pendergast. "We have received a lot of support and encouragement from various
of our members to take this step--I think particularly of Bob Snodgrass at
Brumos. And I believe it is the right step for both organizations. I will, of
course, continue to concentrate on HSR as Competition Director, but I am sure
there will be many new opportunities to exchange ideas with Peter
[McLaughlin] and Carl Jensen."

"Overall, I believe the membership of both organizations will be quite
pleased with the results of the alliance," stated Howard Turner of HSR.
"Neither organization seeks to impose its particular view of the sport on the
other. What I am sure will be challenging will be the one or two annual joint
SVRA/HSR events contemplated at certain of the venues. Everyone at HSR and
SVRA will be working hard to ensure the success of these events and I am sure
they will be. In short, I believe the alliance will prove to be good for
SVRA, good for HSR and good for the sport." — (photo by Art Eastman)