fot

Re: Spitfire Cam Bearings

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Cam Bearings
From: "ALAN N. TAYLOR" <atenglish@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:24:44 -0800
At 05:50 PM 3/27/00 -0700, Joe Curry wrote:
>I am in the final throws of selecting bits and pieces for my engine and
got to
>the subject of cams, lifters, rockers, pushrods, springs and cam bearings.
>
>I have been told that the MkIV and 1500 use different size cam journals
than do
>the earlier engines that have cam bearings installed.  Further, It was
>recommended that I remove the bearings and use a later model cam because
of the
>increased journal size.
>
>That runs 180 degrees contrary to what my emotions tell me.
>
>Can someone please tell me what the pros and cons are on this subject.  I
need
>to make an informed decision before I start ordering parts.
>
>Regards,
>Joe Curry

Joe..The later MkIV and 1500 engines that do not come with cam bearings
have the same diameter cam journal holes as 1300 engines with cam bearings.
That is to say just grab a  1300 MkIII cam and bearings and install it in a
1500 engine. As to running a race engine without cam bearings? No Way!  I
drove a GP Spitfire in the middle seventies. I couldn't find a later cam
bearing/large follower block so I used the earlier one. At the race in
Rockingham I found that I had to adjust the valve lash after each session.
At teardown I found that the cam bored itself downward into the block about
.040". I still finished the race in driving rain on slicks.   AT