fot

The Maiden Voyage

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: The Maiden Voyage
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 10:15:05 -0400
Amici,

I am happy to report I achieved most of my objectives on my maiden voyage
as a car owner/driver to the race track. The biggest goal was to drive the
car back onto the trailer at the end of the weekend and I am happy to
report I accomplished that one. I did have to sit out one session on Friday
while scrambling for parts when I dumped almost all my oil onto the track.
Seems my oil cooler decided to it was time to blow in the braking zone
approaching turn one. A trip to the local speed shop located a connector to
loop the oil cooler lines and I was back in business. At least now I don't
have to worry about rust any time soon, what a mess!

I would be remiss if I did not thank everyone who helped me by email to
prepare the engine, the bottom end performed flawlessly. The engine does
suffer from some blowby problems however. At full throttle I was dumping a
bit of oil into my catch tank. The rings never seated. I'll do a leakdown
test to confirm, but it looks like I am taking the engine out before the
next race. Grrrrrr...

I would be even more remiss if I did not thank those TR pilots at Roebling
Road who offered help and advice, especially George Wright. His help and
advice (and that can of gas!) was invaluable to this rookie.

And thanks to Don Marshall who volunteered to come up from Florida to crew
for me. Nice job, Don.

The wife and I just got home Sunday as we took a week driving home from
Georgia to Connecticut as vacation. A hint to everyone, if your significant
other books you in a historic downtown district for a  few days when you
are towing your race car, object!!! Charleston, SC is not conducive to
parking tow rigs!!!  ;-)
Henry Frye      thefryes@iconn.net
http://members.iconn.net/~thefryes/amici.html
For The Street - TR3B TR250 Stag