fot

third gear pop-out

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: third gear pop-out
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:41:53 -0500
Tr4 vintage racer slips out of third gear.

Here's what I've checked so far:

1. Mainshaft bushings replaced recently, no apparent slop
2. Endplay on mainshaft bushings / gears to spec
3. Endplay on layshaft to spec (although I don't think this is
pertinent)
4. No apparent slop in the input or center bearings, no discernable
sideways movement in the mainshaft / input shaft
5. pull-out force required on shifter rod is 28 lbs vs. factory spec of
32.
6. Shifter forks measure .276 thickness, thicker than all of the junk
trans I've checked
7. The sheet metal shift lever cap opening is not preventing full travel
of the shift lever

My first inclination is to augment the detent spring as advised by Paul
last year, even though it is not easy to do since I'm using a very late
model gearbox top that has drive-in detent hole plugs rather than the
screw-in plugs.

I'd appreciate any good advice you can give me

Thanks in advance

--

TR6 -- 29 and still running
TR4 -- 39 and still racing