fot

VARA British Extravaganza

To: FOT@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: VARA British Extravaganza
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 18:14:56 EDT
Veni, Vidi, Vici?
We came, We saw, We conquered?  Well, we would have if we'd have kept the
cars running, on track and in front of those pesky MG's!
For those not in the know this weekend was the annual Triumph-MG challenge
for VARA and both sides recruited the big guns to kick butt, no prisoners!
The E-Tickets were out in full force with Paul Smock's "wimp motor" TR4
setting a time no one could approach at 2.13 for the 3.1 mile circuit.  Bill
Burroughs TR4, Vince DePalma's great Spit, John Frymark's TR4, Frank Daley's
too fast TR4 and myself in the GT6 filled out the E-Tickets grid, With a host
of FAST Spitfires to support us it seemed adequate to beat down the Morris
Garage brigade.  Then just for insurance Bobby Cee brought out the killer TR6
to make it a done deal.  In the bag, right?
If I told you that my throttle cable snapped at the green would it set the
tone for the race?  The Triumphs seemed hexed and allowed two MG's to get
home before Bill Manning's valiant Spitfire could run them down.
Oh yeah, 230 other cool cars ran and many more filled in the car show to make
it a truly fantastic weekend in California's central valley but you only
wanted to hear about the Triumphs didn't ya?  Steve