fot

Cooling in the desert

To: <Gt6steve@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cooling in the desert
From: "fredd" <fal@hiwaay.net>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 20:58:05 -0700
> Out here in the West our winter driving is
> relatively minor compared to our summers!  I've been told that the trans
temp
> will add 10 F to the rad (which proves it needs a cooler!!!).  I'm
pondering
> a separate air cooler with an electric fan, perhaps with a T-stat, to
handle
> the trans while the rad works overtime for the engine.
Steve,
I would not put a thermostat in the trans lines.
I did that on my first Suburban and it costed me a transmission.
If the thermostat closes, there is no more, or not enough, circulation and
this will cause (at least in GM transmissions) to overheat the trans again,
resulting in a busted transmission.

As you mentioned the 10F difference in the regular radiator, you will notice
that, as in climbing, your engine temperature will stay more stable.
That's one added free advantage.

> Can the trans run too cool, as in Winter driving (Western style)???

Never had any problem with that.

> It won't be much of a race if I can't get there!

Smart thinking, you have to out trick my Uncle Murphy (Murphy's Law :)

fredd