fot

Snortfire driveline mystery

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Snortfire driveline mystery
From: "RIVERSIDE SPORTS CARS" <RIVERSIDE@Cedar-Rapids.net>
Date: (No, or invalid, date.)
Group,
        I have a late model spitfire in my shop that is puzzling me.
We changed out his transmission for an o'dr that seems to be working
well.  However, there is a slip in the driveline like clutch slip.  Clutch
is
new.   When the slippage occurs, the tach and speedo often but not
always move sympathetically if not in exact unisyn.   There are not odd
diff or axle keyway noises to aim me at a spot.  I am suspicious of the
driveshaft front  (cv?) joint.   Have any of you run into this befor with
hotted up engines?  A tube header and a downdraft weber were added
at the time of the trans swap too.  Customer had no slipping before the
swap.   I have not been able to get the u joint to confess its guilt either.
I suspect that if it is the culprit, my puny yanking about would not be
very intimidating!    If the joint is the problem,  how about a fix.
art de armond