fot

Origins of Stromberg

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Origins of Stromberg
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:03:11 +0100
>From time to time, it seems the question of fuel surge in Stromberg float
>chambers raises
its ugly head on this list. Entirely unrelated to that particular issue, I have
been doing
some research about the origins of the Stromberg carburetter and what has come
to my
attention leaves me feeling more than a little cautious about it from an
historical
viewpoint. Given that our hobby as a whole can be something of an amalgam of
stories and
hearsay (with the odd dollop of complete tripe masquerading as absolute and
incontrovertible fact making its occasional curtain call), I have a niggling
suspicion
that the same is possibly arising on the prototype Strommy.
What I have uncovered this far (and not all that much seems to exist) is that
Harry
Webster (former Engineering Director of Standard Triumph) appears to be
accorded with
rather a lot of the laurels for either its invention or its invention and
development.
While in no way wishing to discredit Mr. Webster for any of his past
achievements, some of
the very limited info I have so far managed to turn up, suggests the accolades
to date in
his favour may possibly be a little mis-directed.
I feel there are one or two people on this list who may have an alternative and
hopefully
more accurate opinion and it occurs to me that young Mr. Richardson (among
others) who
incidentally by his silence of late, appears to be deep in a foxhole somewhere
in the
ether, might have another view? Whoever has it, I'd rather like to have my
darkness
lightened a little. Can anyone help?

Jonmac