fot

NON TECH - Triumph History questions

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: NON TECH - Triumph History questions
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:37:28 +0100
Hi Gang

I've received a number of inquiries recently on why Triumph history - like
the original Stromberg design - seems to have been suppressed in popular
Triumph 'literature'.

I also find this a travesty, and a regular opinion from the Standard
Triumph people I've spoken to put this down to 'egos' and the fact that
there is always a minority who will take credit for other people's work.
There are some fascinating Triumph engineering stories involving orriginal
design and some wonderful humour to go with them - which I find a
delightful part of the history.

One of the many fascinating stories I've come across is the fact that the
'integrated' constant velocity final drive joint (whereby the CV joint is
encased within a 'wheel bearing) was designed by a 'Triumph' engineer.
Interestingly, these units were used on the final drive of the 1971 world
championship winning Lotus F1 driven by Mario Andretti. BUT even the great
Colin Chapman had to 'ask permission' to use them so as not to infringe
patent rights.

Paul