fot

TR4 High Torque Starters

To: "Friends Of Triumph (E-mail)" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 High Torque Starters
From: Peter D Vucinic <vucinic@b140.aone.net.au>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 01:06:52 +1000
Greetings to All,

Does anyone in the group have experience/information on the IMI 'High Torque'
Starter motors, to suit TR4's? These starters are made by Performance Products
in Whittier CA.

I have one of these starters, and the problem I have is that, the starter gear
only engages with half the width of the ring gear? The starter is fitted with
an Aluminum adapter plate, that bolts to the starter, and is made to fit the TR
block. The adapter appears to be a universal type of adapter, and it can be
rotated by simply removed 2 socket headed cap screws attaching it to the
starter body. This allows for the starter to be rotated into different
positions.

I would machine the thickness of the adapter to get more engagement however,
one of the starter to engine block tags, on the adapter is very thin. If I
attempt to machine it, the tag will be completely removed. This will only allow
for one bolt to hold the starter in. Not a good idea.

Dose anyone know anything about these adapters etc? Is the a specific adapter
for the TR4 starter motor? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
PS Can supply digital pics of adapter / starter

Kind Regards
Peter Vucinic
vucinic@b140.aone.net.au

The information in this transmission is privileged and confidential, intended
only for the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, then dissemination, copying, or use of the information is strictly
prohibited. If you receive a communication error, please notify by send Email
copy back of communication, and delete the original and/or any copies,
electronic or printed.